Saturday, June 8, 2019

Stroke Recovery

I wrote this some time ago but felt it was worth re-sharing.

Recovery from a stroke can be a FRUSTRATING process! One might find me cussing as I drop everything and trying to simply open my gas cap or water bottle - just forget a needle and thread!
My balance, eyesight, memory, and inability to find words is frustrating. Typing HAHA! Spell check is my best friend until it replaces a word with something totally embarrassing - and just forget numbers completely!

Before the stroke, I could grab a Chilton's manual, fix my own car and be all proud! Now, I have to ask for help getting the radiator cap off.

During my most recent cognitive test, I actually cried, "What do you mean I have to accept my new (lower score) threshold?"

Before I could have belted this post out in 10 minutes - today it took almost 2 hours. What can I say? The processor is malfunctioning.

Many people say, "Wow! I would have never thought you had a stroke." There was little physical damage but they don't see me when I am depressed and misfiring all over the place.

However, it is during these moments of extreme frustration and hopelessness, I do try to remind myself how blessed I am to "still be here" to try to overcome obstacles.

When faced with difficulties, we do have a choice to fold or fly. I choose not to fold and if "record wry story" meaning "sharing my story" can help one other person try to fly, then it is worth sharing . . . misspelled and misplaced words included. #StrokeAwareness #StrokeWarrior #StrokeRecovery

No comments:

Post a Comment