Friday, March 22, 2013

Wasting Minutes

Time . . . it seems as though we never have enough. I was watching a television show about a man who was disclosing to his friends and family that he had cancer. One of his friends asked, "So, you are telling us you are dying?" The man responded, "You are dying too, just at a slower pace than me." That statement penetrated deeply because it really is so true.

I began thinking of the years I spent most of my time at the office instead of with my family or friends. It is not that I regret having dedicated myself to my work because I knew I was making a difference in other's lives, and my family my biggest supporter but if I could go back - I would choose to balance the two better.

How much time during our lives is spent running from here to there to achieve material success? We always want more but when we are taking our last breath, the only regret we seem to have is the "time we didn't spend" with those we love.

Are we spending our time to gain more, find something better, or wasting our time on those casual acquaintances who stroke our egos? Possibly all of the above? We must remember, life is about making every minute count.

Life requires balance but it also requires being present. To be present we must be authentically aware of ourselves, our motivations, and remain cognizant of the feelings of those closest to us. It means slowing down and taking the time to let those we love know how we feel. It only takes a minute. Being present means we are fully in the moment, yet aware of the hands of the life clock, and using those minutes wisely to impact the lives of those around us. We must remember the clock is ticking for others too.

If we were to look at life through the dying man's eyes, we might enjoy our minutes more. We might give our time more freely to those who care for us, rather than making them feel we have to find the time to fit them in.

If we lived like we were dying, we might not let those "once in a lifetime opportunities" to strengthen our relationships or forge new beginnings pass by.

We think of our lives in respect to years but maybe we should be thinking more in minutes because before you know it - in those last minutes, all that matters, is the minutes we missed. Written by Kym L. Pasqualini

No comments:

Post a Comment